At Kilgus Farmstead, we are proud to offer a range of Fresh Milk products exclusively from our own Jersey cows. Kilgus milk is non-homogenized, which means that the cream from the milk naturally rises to the top like milk delivered from the milk man 50 years ago. Our cows are out on pasture from April to November, and by eating pasture grasses, our milk is naturally higher in Conjugated Lineolic Acid (CLAs), which have been found to have health benefits. Finally, we package our milk in UV plastic bottles (versus clear plastic) to prevent the breakdown of crutial vitamins and minerals in the milk, as well as extending the shelf life on our products.
We bottle our milk 3 times per week in our own farmstead bottling plant. Only the milk from our cows is bottled on our farm and put in Kilgus Farmstead jugs. All milking and bottling operations are designed to insure that you receive the freshest and safest milk possible. Our milk is delivered by us here at Kilgus Farmstead or by Natural Direct distributors (into the Chicago market). We insure that our trucks maintain an optimal temperature for the product.
Kilgus Farmstead dairy products include the following:
- Whole milk – Our whole milk reminds many customers of the milk that they drank growing up. Because of the non-homogenized cream line on the top of the container, it must be shaken before serving. Our whole milk is a wonderful ingredient for bakers and chefs, and is available in gallons, half-gallons, and pints.
- 2% milk – Our 2% milk is one of our most popular products with consumers. It still needs to be shaken to incorporate the cream. Customers say our rich, Jersey 2% tastes like most whole milk. It is also available in gallons, half-gallons, and pints.
- Skim milk — Our skim milk is a big hit with consumers. Skim milk is far and away the most popular Kilgus Farmstead product offered, and is available in gallon, half-gallon, and pint sizes.
- Chocolate milk – Recent evidence has shown that chocolate milk is a great recovery drink for athletes, not to mention that it’s a great tasting treat! The rich flavor yet light texture set our chocolate milk apart from others. It is available in gallon, half-gallon, and pint containers.
- Heavy Cream – whether for baking, whipping, or coffee, our heavy cream is popular with chefs and consumers. Cream is sold in pint and half-gallon sizes.
- Half and Half – As with our cream, professional and amateur cooks alike find a myriad of uses for our half and half. It is also sold in pints and half-gallons.
- Soft Serve Ice Cream Mix – If you offer soft serve ice cream in your store or restaurant, you need to try our rich and creamy mix. We have formulated our product so that the characteristics of the Jersey and non-homogenized milk come through, and your customers will taste the difference. Stop by our on-farm store for a sample! We offer vanilla and have special seasonal flavors through the year. The mix is offered in one gallon containers.
Kilgus Farmstead Beef
We raise our Jersey steers from start to finish right at our farm. This helps ensure we our bringing the highest possible quality product to our customers. Our processing partner is Chenoa Meat Locker, who has been in business for several years. Our Jersey steers are fed non-GMO corn that is grown by us here at Kilgus Dairy. Our Jersey beef is tender with a flavor rarely seen in supermarkets because of the higher rates on marbling scores found in Jersey Cattle. Studies have also found Jersey beef to have lower levels of saturated fats.
Beef can be purchased as whole, half, or quarter steers. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to purchase a quarter of 1/2 of beef, or have questions about this. At the on-farm store, we have a great selection of frozen individual cuts that include the following:
- Arm Roast
- Sirloin Tip Roast
- Chuck Roast
- Rump Roast
- Stew Meat
- T-Bone Steak
- Porterhouse Steak
- Ribeye Steak
- Sirloin Steak
- Flank Steak
- Swiss Steak
- Cube Steak
- Round Steak
- Short Ribs
- Bulk Hamburger
- Hamburger Patties
- Bacon Burgers
We also carry beef sticks, jerkey, and summer sausage.
Kilgus Farmstead Berkshire Pork
Every year, we raise pigs on the farm. They are purchased as 40 lb piglets from a local Fairbury farmer, and live on Kilgus farm fresh milk and non-gmo corn. Our pigs grow quickly on a nutritious buffet of Jersey milk and corn, to give you a pork product of tenderess and flavor that most consumers haven’t experienced. Chenoa Meat Locker assists with processing these animals, and they can be purchased in whole or half hog quantities.
Available at our on-farm store are frozen sausage, bratwurst, and pork burgers, chops, bacon, roasts, and sausage links.
Pleasant Meadows Goat Meat
The goats are cared for and marketed by Jusin and Trent who own and operate Pleasant Meadows. Their goat meat is extremely popular in some of the most exclusive restaurants in Chicago. Please contact Justin if you are interested in purchasing our goat meat, or have further questions.